Muffles Junior College: About us
Muffles College is named after Father Joseph Meuffels who was assigned to Orange Walk in May 1900. With the death of his predecessor, Father Josephus Piemonte, in June of the same year, he began his twenty-one year pastorate of the Orange Walk Church. Father Meuffels was highly regarded by his people. He was responsible for the completion of present day La Inmaculada Church.
In response to a need to make secondary education available in the Orange Walk District, the Jesuit Community founded Muffles College in 1953. By 1959, Muffles College had evolved from being a two-year to a four-year co-educational high school. Given a nation-wide shortage of priests, the College came under the leadership of the Sisters of Mercy in 1967, switching to lay leadership ten years later.
Muffles Junior College opened its doors on August 24, 1992 with an enrollment of thirty-eight students pursuing Associate Degrees in Business Science. Twenty-two students made up its first graduating class on June 11, 1994. The junior college dream began to take shape through the combined effort of strong community and Government partnership begun in 1989. Just as the challenge to the need for accessible and affordable secondary education in the 1950s was answered, so too the community again responded to the new challenge to make tertiary education available and affordable in Orange Walk.
Muffles Junior College presently offers nine associate degree programs of study to approximately 400 students.
© 2011 Muffles Junior College, All Rights Reserved.